Thursday, April 26, 2012

Walking Catfish

This month Minnie is exploring the alphabet by digging out the unusual, often unexplained and alternative way of thinking. Stories of creatures, places and mysteries that have been passed down to us through centuries tease our imagination, live in our dreams and dare us to explore the impossible. Join Minnie each day as she discovers something unusual in the alphabet.

 "If I were a cat this would be the worst insult EVER!"


The walking catfish is a species of freshwater air-breathing catfish found primarily in Southeast Asia. It is named for its ability to "walk" across dry land, in order to find food or suitable living environments. Actually they slither more like snakes, but they sure do get around. The walking catfish was imported to Florida, reportedly from Thailand, in the early 1960s for the aquarium trade.  Apparently a huge amount of these fish escaped from time to time, either from a fish farm or from trucks transporting the fish. Some fish in Florida, were purposeful released, by fish farmers in the Tampa Bay area, after the state banned the importation and possession of walking catfish. In Florida, walking catfish are known to have invaded aquaculture farms, entering ponds where these predators prey on fish stocks. In response, fish farmers have had to erect fences to protect ponds. Authorities have also created laws that ban possession of walking catfish.


Like illegal immigrants they seem to have crossed over boarders and have even been spotted occasionally in the Midwest. Have you ever seen a walking catfish? Do you like to eat catfish? Not me! I am just praying that if I come across one of these fish it will not have learned how to run.


11 comments:

Sally said...

I agree with you, I wouldn't like to come across it.

Geoff Maritz said...

Hello Siv.
Yes, we do get catfish here that migrate when the water level drops too low, or for other reasons I'm not sure of.
And yes, I do eat catfish, You've got to know how to prepare them though. We call them Barbel or as is the case in Zambia, Vundu. These fish grow to about 55 kilograms and can live out of water for extended periods. They are harmless and very good eating. Now you know, they don't bite. :)
Interesting post and fun to read. Blessings, Geoff.

Deena said...

Catfish in the South!

Fairview said...

I had catfish once. didn't agree with me. Hope I never run across a walking one.

Lynn Proctor said...

i don't think i have ever seen a walking one--but i think they are pretty tasty :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've seen a nature special that showed one walking. Really wild. And yes, I like catfish - tasty!

Crack You Whip said...

I have never seen a walking catfish. I don't like how catfish look. Anything with a mustache freaks me out...sorry Geraldo.

D.E. Malone said...

Not a pretty fish! Have never tried catfish.

Unknown said...

That is very cool and very weird. I love it. :) If I ever saw one of these catfish, I would probably follow it to see what it does. LOL

Susan Kane said...

Cat fish are delicious! We lived along the Mississippi River and had a special backwater fish store where we drove along miles of dirt roads to get there.

But, I did clean a cat fish once, and they are nasty, nasty. A walking cat fish--I would club it and then cook it.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Siv .. they eat a lot of catfish in Africa .. and animals are amazing at how they cope with life - yet another imported escapee causing havoc .. interesting to know about ..

Thanks - clever W .. for walking catfish .. cheers Hilary