Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Treat Time

 Enough food already! So I am winding off this small series on “What's for dinner Mom?” with a treat. Besides I am still on snow shoveling strike so that means no store today and left-over leftovers for dinner. If you missed dinner yesterday, you can see what dinner will be today by clicking HERE

My two kids that are visiting from the states this summer should be less frightened now about sitting at the dinner table. Norwegian food may be a bit different at times but I am still an American cook. 

We used to spend a lot of time up in the mountains at our families cabin and often we would go picking berries. My friendly freezer Simon is full of berries so I decided to make some use of the blueberries from a couple of years ago that has been hiding inside. Blueberry jam and waffles have been on my mind for a couple of days now. Waffles are as Norwegian as Apple Pie is American. All mothers have a waffle iron in their possession, and it is used for almost every occasion except breakfast. You will see waffles at school plays, children sporting events, raffles, or when needed as a treat to serve with coffee when company shows up.  Anything can be put on top of waffles, from goat cheese to sour cream and jam. Cookies are for Christmas, waffles stick around all year long like a good friend.

Waffles and Homemade Blueberry Jam


Yesterday I promised to tell you what you can do with old dairy products. Milk, yogurt, and any kind of cream can be frozen, then thawed and used in baking. It is wonderful in homemade bread and in my case now, waffles. This is how I make them:

A basic recipe calls for 4 eggs which will make about 30 waffles. Wisp eggs up with one cup of sugar for each egg in a large bowl until the mixture turns thick and fluffy. If you are using a machine, put it aside because the rest is done by hand. Mix in 1 liter of milk. In a separate bowl mix together half a kilo of flour, 2 tsp. of baking soda, 1 tsp. cardamom and 1 tbs. vanilla sugar. Sift this into the egg and milk mixture until you have a thick cake like batter. Add more flour if needed. Finally add half a stick of melted and cooled butter or margarine. Let waffle mixture sit for 10 minutes and you are good to go. Now all you need is a waffle iron…Maybe I should have mentioned that earlier…Hmm, wonder if it is possible to fry these off like pancakes. Let me know if you try.

14 comments:

Stranger in a Strange Land said...

Looks nice. Waffles with homemade blueberry jam is what I call comfort food.

Hello Siv Maria:

I have canned, blueberries, red currents, and lingon and dried mushrooms form the forest to last the winter.

I really enjoy my time out in the forest.

Kindest regards,
Mike

shelly said...

Sounds yummy.

Geoff Maritz said...

Ah woman, you are making me hungry. Haven't had waffles for many, many years, they are SO cool. As you say, they are good any time of the day or night. a good snack to chomp on while writing blog posts. :)
Bless you and your friend Simon the chilled guy, Geoff.

Crazy Life of a Writing Mom said...

That sounds delicious!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I dig waffles!
So do you have waffle raffles?

Misha Gerrick said...

OOOOH! I love waffles. Now I want to have some. :-)

Laura Josephsen said...

Mmm, yummy! I love waffles.

Lola Sharp said...

*drools* I haven't had my breakfast yet...and now I'm seriously craving waffles with berries.

Lissa Clouser said...

Ahh! Those waffles look DIVINE. And you had to go and put them with blueberries... save me some? lol

Carrie Butler said...

Oh wow. Those waffles look heavenly! :) Nice to "meet" you!

Angela Scott said...

Now I'm hungry and only waffles can satisfy my craving.

Popping over to say hi campaign buddy! Glad to meet you.

Sherry Ellis said...

Those look good! I'll have to try mixing up a batch!

Doreen McGettigan said...

Yes that really does look good. Why am I always running into blogs with food photos at 2am?? Just stopping by from the campaign to say hello:)

Hart Johnson said...

YAY for waffles with blueberry jelly! I love waffles,though your recipe sounds like it ends up considerably sweeter than mine. I will have to give your recipe a try. I'm not sure I've ever bought cardamom...