Thursday, January 19, 2012

Looking for Crazy



 Your prey could many things; that blank page, the sketch book, the canvas, the instrument in front of you. They just stare and wait for you to get started. What gets me started is a state of mind, a thought, an inspiration. I am a word hunter, my weapons are forged in ink and I hunt in parts of the mind that many consider crazy.

Let’s face it, if you are a writer or an artist you are part crazy. There is something off about you, and there are many who do not understand you at all so they like to call you crazy. I decided to look up the word. On my hunt for crazy I found some of these definitions and quotes that made sense to me:

Informal departing from proportion or moderation, impractical, erratic, being out of the ordinary, unusual, distracted with desire or excitement, absurdly fond, infatuated, passionately preoccupied, obsessed.

One who is or appears insane: "To them she is not a brusque crazy, but 'appropriately passionate'" ----Mary McGrory

“A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?”--- Albert Einstein

“My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.”  ---Rodney Dangerfield

“If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.” ---Hunter S. Thompson

Looking for crazy gets me started. What does it for you?-----S.Ottem



5 comments:

shelly said...

Yes. My mind is always some where else. I'm usually quite distracted and I have tendencies to talk to myself out loud.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Like the Dangerfield quote!

Anonymous said...

uh have you read my blog? lol I've been called crazy so much in my life I sometimes feel it's my middle name. I don't even get offended.
In fact I kinda think it's a compliment. As for looking for it...Look no further than your every day life. There is always something crazy that will pop up. :)

Sandra Tyler said...

Yup, here's cheers from one "crazy" to another. Rather creative writer to another? Think I'll follow you. We might be kindred spirits:))

Unknown said...

I consider myself crazy for doing what I do. LOL And I think Hunter S. Thompson is absolutely correct. ;)