Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Falling Apart



Outside my frosty windows winter has arrived and this time it looks as if it is here to stay. Winter in Norway, cold, dark and slippery, sometimes it is even beautiful, but not today. This year winter has been a tease, throwing rain and thunderstorms one day and flutters of quickly disappearing snow the next.  When it finally arrived on Sunday, I knew it was here to stay by the large suitcase it brought with and planted firmly outside the door. The snow blower quickly went on strike so it was time to get out the shovel and toss this unwanted baggage to the side. Why is it that when you need your machines they have a tendency to break down? We have had a major run of machine strike outs. First it was the new refrigerator, then the oven top, the robot vacuum cleaner, the clothes dryer and now the snow blower. My husband has gotten into the habit of asking me as soon as he gets home if everything is working. 

So what do you do when winter crashes down on you, and your machines fail one by one? Well I decided to make them friendlier and more personal by giving them all names. After all, a lot can be said by a name. You have met Spot, here are a couple more of my friends.
Nespresso, named George after George Clooney

Wilfa Humidifier-"Willy"

We call our garbage disposal "Terminator" a nasty bugger that works in secret under counter. Yes, winter boredom has set in as well. At least I have my kindle and a nice fire to sit by. 


What do you do when things seem to be falling apart around you?


7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I tend to ignore them until my wife says "No really, we need a new one!" Except for computers and TVs - those are replaced immediately.

Unknown said...

A robot vacuum? Sounds just what I'd like :-) They said that winter had forgotten all about us this year. Here in Portugal it has. I'm looking at bright sunshine, lots of flowers...

Stranger in a Strange Land said...

Give them an allowance and Saturday Candy and perhpas they will co-operate. :)

Take care,
Mike

Michael Di Gesu said...

Wow, Sis,

You are having machine issues.... My humidifier is on the fritz... I guess it's contagious.

LOVE the fireplace.... warm and toasty...

This winter in Chicago is actually not too bad. Only about a foot of snow total and lots of COLD but SUNNY days. I can deal with the cold as long as a clear blue sky comes along with it.

Only a few more days to the SCBWI conference... Eeek. I wish you could meet me there.

shelly said...

Go with the flow. Watch funny movies. Think positive.

Anonymous said...

Wait are you saying this doesn't happen every day? I love again lol Sorry I'm so in and out lately. Having trouble with my other eye now. Just had to give up driving and cant read my emails or peoples blogs very well. I'm mad. lol

Nancy Thompson said...

I scream for my husband. He can fix damn near everything!