Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Stormy Weather



Since I have gotten back from Denver, Norway has embraced me in its weather worn arms. One storm after another has crawled up from the sea together with the darkness this season holds. You can hear the wind howling outside my window now and the darkness I am sitting in has only a few candles to break its path. The electricity has gone out again, but I don’t mind because sometimes I just like to sit in the dark.

The nature of this storm is like that of a weary traveler. Its face reminds me of my own. I have been waiting for this stormy weather to pass for weeks now, but every time the sky shows a hint of clearing another storm cloud appears. That is why my friends you have not heard so much from me lately. I have been seeking shelter from stormy weather. Today I put on my rain clothes, walked down to the sea and watched the crashing waves hit the rocky shores below my feet. The spray of the salt water on my face was familiar and comforting. My post for the Insecure Writers Support Group is late this month and that is because of all the stormy weather that has been infecting me with the blues this month. We all get those blues sometimes but the best thing to do is to write. It is medicine, believe me.

We cannot choose the weather. Even if you live in a sunny climate, stormy weather will always appear. You will fight with loved ones, endure pain and sorrow, and at the end of the day bills still have to be paid. Take shelter if you must, find your paper and pen, or just put on your rain clothes and go for a walk.


9 comments:

Dan said...

nice blog.congratulations

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Beautiful post. Reminds me of my mom, with her Norwegian roots, who loved talking about the weather.

Anonymous said...

I whine for a day then put my rain clothes on. Might as well make something fun out of it! haha. Missed you. Glad you made an appearance today.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Just sit back and enjoy the stormy weather. I like it when it rains because I don't have to mow the lawn. Add cold weather, and the lawn stops growing as well!

shelly said...

Yup. Smiles and hugs to you.

Nancy Thompson said...

I have no choice BUT to enjoy the stormy weather. I live in Seattle! Hey, it's great atmosphere for writing dark psychological thrillers.

Li said...

That's a great suggestion - wrap up and just go outside and experience the storm. Then you really appreciate a cozy blanket and a warm drink:-)

Wendy McDonagh-Valentine said...

This was such a beautiful post that I could tell was from your heart. I hope you feel better soon. I am one who absolutely adores stormy, windy weather and your description of sitting in the candle light and listening to the wind howling outside gave me goosebumps!! Take care and God bless. I'm glad you took a walk. : )

~ Wendy
http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I love storms, especially when all I have to do is stay home and watch it rain or snow. In the summer I love go for walks in the rain. Stay warm and dry.